- Cauliflower Gratin with Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs
- Mediterranean Cauliflower Salad
- Tangy Mustard Cauliflower with Cheese
Cauliflower Gratin with Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs
Two 2 1/2-pound heads of cauliflower, cut into 2-inch florets
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 anchovy fillets, mashed to a paste
6 medium scallions, thinly sliced
1 cup chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups fresh whole wheat bread crumbs
3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large saucepan, steam the cauliflower until just
tender, about 7 minutes; let cool slightly. Cut the cauliflower into 1-inch pieces
and spread evenly in a 10-by-15-inch shallow baking dish.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and anchovies and cook
over low heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the scallions and cook,
stirring, until softened, about 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and boil over
moderately high heat until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add the cream
and simmer over low heat until reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 4 minutes. Pour
the cream over the cauliflower.
3. In a bowl, toss the bread crumbs with the cheese and melted butter. Season
with salt and pepper and sprinkle over the cauliflower. Bake in the upper third
of the oven for about 20 minutes, or until bubbling and golden. Let stand for
up to 20 minutes before serving.
Mediterranean Cauliflower Salad
1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
¼ cup red bell peppers, chopped
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
¼ cup Greek olives
1 tbsp capers
1 tbsp wine vinegar
3 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Steam cauliflower florets until just tender.
2. Refresh under cold water to stop the cooking process.
3. In a bowl, combine cauliflower, pepper, parsley, olives and capers, toss
4. Whisk together the vinegar, oil and oregano and pour over vegetables.
5. Marinate in the refrigerator for two hours or even overnight.
6. Serve cold.
Tangy Mustard Cauliflower with Cheese
1 head cauliflower
1/2 cup mayonnaise, reduced fat
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1 teaspoon onion, minced
3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
In a large saucepan, bring salted water to a boil. Wash, trim and core the
cauliflower; break up. Cook in simmering water 12 to 15 minutes until fork
tender. Drain well. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, mustard and minced
Spread mixture over cauliflower. Sprinkle with shredded Cheddar cheese. Bake
3 to 5 minutes uncovered, in a 350 degree preheated oven or until the cheese
begins to melt. Serve hot.
|©2014 Eating with the Seasons, All rights reserved.